Bibliography and References
This is a general bibliography of titles related to the Catholic faith, to Judaism, and to the relationship between Israel and the Church.
The bibliography includes the main sources that were used to build the online course. This list is far from comprehensive or complete; it merely represents a list of most authoritative and important documents, along with some personal favorites that helped shape our website.
See also the links page for more online resources.
The primary, most recommended and ultimate source of divine revelation is of course the Bible, closely followed by the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the authoritative interpretation of Sacred Scripture as preserved in the Tradition of the Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Online Resources - Magisterial Documents
Catechesis (studying the Catholic faith)
- Catechism of the Catholic Church (1994) (or from the Vatican website in other languages)
- Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (2006)
- Declaration Dominus Iesus (2000)
- Documents of the Second Vatican Council (1962-65)
Catechesis (teaching the Catholic faith)
- John Paul II, Apostolic Exhortation Catechesi Tradendae (On Catechesis in our Time) (1979)
- Paul VI, Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Nuntiandi (On Evangelization in the Modern World) (1975)
- General Directory for Catechesis (1997)
Marriage and the Family
- Pope John Paul II, Familiaris Consortio (On the Christian Family in the Modern World) (1981)
- Pope John Paul II, Letter to Families (1994)
- Pontifical Council for the Family, The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality (1995)
- Pope Benedict XVI, Deus Caritas Est (God is Love) (2006)
Online Resources - Other
- Catechism of the Catholic Church (New York: DoubleDay, 1995).
- Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (Washington: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2006).
- General Directory for Catechesis (Washington: Libreria Editrice Vaticana).
- Frank Sheed, A Map of Life (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1994).
- Frank Sheed, Theology and Sanity (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1993).
- Frank Sheed, Theology for Beginners (Ann Arbor, MI: Servant Book, 1981).
- Karl Keating, Catholicism and Fundamentalism (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1988).
- Peter Kreeft, Fundamentals of the Faith (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1988).
- Frank Sheed, Catholic Evidence Training Outlines (Ann Arbor,MI: Catholic Evidence Guild, 1992).
- Peter Kreeft and Ronald K. Tacelli, Handbook of Christian Apologetics (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1994).
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (San Francisco: Harper, 2001).
- Josh McDowell, Evidence that Demands a Verdict (Vols. 1-2) (Thomas Nelson, 1992).
- W.A. Jurgens, The Faith of the Early Fathers, Vols. 1-3 (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1970).
Jewish Roots, Jewish-Christian Relations, Israel and the Church
- Michael L. Brown, Our Hands are Stained with Blood (Shippensburg, PA: Destiny Image, 1992).
- Edward H. Flannery, The Anguish of the Jews (New York: MacMillan, 1965).
- Elias Friedman, Jewish Identity (online pdf text).
- Rudolf Kutschera, Das Heil kommt von den Juden (Joh. 4:22): Untersuchungen zur Heilsbedeutung Israels. Peter Lang Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2003
- Jacob Michael, Never Revoked by God: The Place of Israel in the Future of the Church (Lulu).
- Derek Prince, The Destiny of Israel and the Church (Milton Keynes, UK: Word Books, 1992).
Jews and Jesus: Jewish Christians, Messianic Jews, Hebrew Catholics, Catholics Jews...
- Martin Barrack, Second Exodus (Houston: Magnificat Institute Press, 1999).
- Michael L. Brown, Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, Vols 1-4 (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2000).
- Ronda Chervin, Bread from Heaven: Stories of Jews who found the Messiah (New Hope, KY: Remnant of Israel, 1994).
- Ronda Chervin, The Ingrafting: The Conversion Stories of Ten Hebrew-Catholics (New Hope, KY: Remnant of Israel, 1987).
- Roy H. Schoeman, Honey from the Rock: Sixteen Jews find the Sweetness of Christ (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2007).
- Roy H. Schoeman, Salvation is from the Jews (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2003).
- Marvin R. Wilson, Our Father Abraham (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1989).
- Eugenio Zolli, Before the Dawn (New York: Sheed and Ward, 1954).
Liturgy and Sacraments
- Scott Hahn, The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth (New York: DoubleDay, 1999).
- Scott Hahn, Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession (New York: DoubleDay, 2003).
- Scott Hahn, Swear to God: The Promise and Power of the Sacraments (New York: DoubleDay, 2004).
- Thomas Howard, Evangelical is not Enough (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1984).
Marriage and the Family
- Jason Evert, If You Really Loved Me (San Diego: Catholic Answers, 2003).
- Pope John Paul II, The Theology of the Body (Boston: Pauline Books, 1997).
- Scott Hahn, First Comes Love: Finding Your Family in the Church and the Trinity (New York: DoubleDay, 2002).
- Christopher West, Good News about Sex & Marriage (Ann Arbor: Servant Publications, 2000).
- Christopher West, Theology of the Body for Beginners (West Chester, PA: Ascension Press).
Mary and the Saints
- Father Mateo, Refuting the Attack on Mary (San Diego: Catholic Answers, 1993).
- Scott Hahn, Hail Holy Queen - The Mother of God in the Word of God (New York: DoubleDay, 2001).
- Stefano Manelli, All Generations Shall Call Me Blessed (New Bedford, MA: Academy of the Immaculate, 1989).
- John Henry Newman, Mary, the Second Eve (Rockford, Il: Tan, 1982).
- Fulton J. Sheen, The World's First Love (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1952).
- Scott Hahn, A Father Who Keeps His Promises (Ann Arbor: Servant, 1998).